What should not be seen on this platform:
- Vendor proprietary protocol (eg. CDP)
- Discovery protocol (eg. LLDP, MNDP)
- VLAN/trunking protocol (eg. VTP, DTP, GVRP)
- Spanning Tree protocol (eg. PVST+, RSTP. Rapid PVST+, MSTP)
- Interior routing protocol (eg. OSPF, ISIS, EIGRP)
- L2 Keepalives
- ICMPv6 Neighbor Discovery - Router Advertisement
- PIM-SM, PIM-DM
- Other link-local traffic
A separated VLAN on the platform performs the following:
- as the staging VLAN : when new customers just connect to the switch
- for troubleshooting : the monitoring server (sniffer) can sniff all the traffic, including broadcast, multicast and unknown frames to analyse the cause of a problem.
It also contains testing Route servers identical to production servers to help a client adjust the BGP announcement before going to the production VLAN.